February 23, 2010

New York, I Don't Love You



The depths of my disappointment are indescribable.


"Where Paris, je t'aime overflowed with love from almost every pore, truly making me believe Paris is a city of love, New York, I Love You made me think that the city is nothing more than a place for chain smokers, hook-ups, stalkers and fights."


If it was possible to make one of the most exciting and vibrant cities in the world a place that you'd never want to visit, this movie accomplished that.  Of the 10 short films there were, what?  Maybe 4 that I can remember?  2 that I liked?  Honestly, it made Manhattan seem like it was filled with the most boring, sad, lonely people ever.  Wasn't this movie supposed to be about love?


"The glaring problem I see is that in Paris each short film had its allotted time, with no characters crossing over into one another's stories, save for one small exception toward the end. In New York, there is a constant back-and-forth of characters jumping around, in and out of multiple story-lines, rarely knowing where one ends and the next begins, lacking any real sense of focus. But worst of all, where Paris felt genuine, New York felt gimmicky."


The one story that I loved was the one with Anton Yelchin and Olivia Thirlby.  It was one of the best short films that I've seen.  If you ever get a chance to see this film, please savor these few minutes because they are truly the best.  And you will laugh at the end of it.  Really hard.






No comments: