February 24, 2010

annie leibovitz

I'm not sure what brought this on today, but I figure you might as well hear about it.

I have a book of hers that my mom got me for christmas a few years ago.  I have to say that I've never seen portraiture quite like hers, and I seriously doubt I ever will again.  She's one of the most talented photographers that I've ever seen, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I look at people differently since having read that book.  I wish I could find more photos from it, but alas, no one seems to care about people that aren't celebrities.  Don't get me wrong, her VF photos are stunning, but don't you think there's something incredibly compelling about a black & white portrait of a 48-year-old Las Vegas show girl in all her jewel-encrusted glory juxtaposed to a photo of her wearing Sunday morning church garb?  It's just incredible to see.  She really makes you see what she sees, that's what I love about her.

Anyhoo, here's a collection of some photographs for your enjoyment.
Is this a theme with me?

No comments: