February 14, 2009

Tribute to Blossom Dearie



First off, let me just say that I would kill for a pair of glasses like that.

Blossom Dearie has always been one of my favorite jazz vocalists... her voice is just so unique and delicate, the timbre so lovely, that I can't help but be drawn into her songs. It's almost like she's whispering, even though she's not. It has that effect. Like you get a little quieter, you strain your ears a little more, just so that you can catch it all.

I love the way I found her, too. Nobody told me about her, nobody gave me her cd or told me she was famous. I bought a used jazz compilation when I was a kid - probably 12 or so - and she sang a song on it. I can't remember the name of the cd, or even any of the other songs that were included, but she sang "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Gershwin, and it was perfect. I listened to it all the time. I sang it. I didn't get it, but I knew it was sad.

And I've loved her music ever since. The way it moves, the feel of it, is so perfectly aligned with my emotions that it's shocking. She's been one of those musical love affairs that I'll never forget, and I am truly, deeply saddened by her passing.

And to lighten the mood, here's a great, funny song, "I'm Hip":

No comments: