1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Started working in a lab
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for this year?
Um, no. I don't think so. Since I can't remember it, then I'm sure I broke it. I'm contemplating a resolution, but I won't talk about it until I figure out the logistics...
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not anyone close to me, personally. I was really saddened when Paul Newman passed, though.
5. What countries did you visit?
No countries, unfortunately. Things are going to change soon, though... I can feel it.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Hm... a different car. Fully functioning.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 4th, of course!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Riding my bike to school during the summer before the advent of my tailbone inadequacy.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Sucking at my first upper-division classes. C+ in Cell Bio, man. Not a good sign.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I jacked up my tailbone in September and it has yet to heal. Just recently I sprained my knee, I think. Or twisted it. That should count because it was a few days before New Years. Yeah, I'm a mess.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Tickets to Washington DC!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hillary Clinton's for sure after Obama was nominated. I've never seen someone work so hard to help someone else get what they themselves really want. She's incredible. And now Secretary of State! Omg and Tina Fey. Love.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The people who voted yes on Prop 8. Ugh and Sarah Palin. God.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, sadly enough. Since I've started working on campus, I find myself eating out with my co-workers several times a week. And those guys like to eat good. I should really try to cut back this quarter...
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting a Democrat in office, of course!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Hm... this question is hard. My music tastes change all the time. Maybe "Right as Rain" by Adele.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Happier, I think. At least in most aspects of my life.
ii. thinner or fatter?
Probably around the same, maybe a little fatter. Which sucks because I lost a few over the summer, but then gained it all back in my post-injury depression.
iii. richer or poorer?
Richer? Or at least in a better position to make more money. I guess I technically have more money, but I still feel strained because I have to figure out what to do about my car...
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Hung out at home with my family and then went to my uncle's in Buena Park for dinner
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yeah... with a new type of shampoo. Personally, no.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Dislike. Hate's a little harsh.
26. What was the best book you read this year?
Wow I honestly don't know what the say. Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited" was an absolutely riveting book.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I have to agree with Karen: Flight of the Conchords is awesome. But I also want to throw in Amy Winehouse. I got her cd "Frank" and was totally surprised by how good it it.
28. What did you want and get?
A camera! Well, I bought it for myself but whatever. Oh and Casey got me those cool goggles. I need to try those things out!
29. What did you want and not get?
Wall-E. No one got it for me!
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Wall-E. Mamma Mia is a close 2nd.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
God, I don't even remember. I'm sure I spent it having fun with friends though. 20.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having been able to study abroad for a quarter.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Messy, but slightly more together than last year. At least it seems to be going in the right direction.
34. What kept you sane?
Being able to laugh so hard I almost peed my pants when my sister and I watched 30 Rock or the Office and baking pies.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
hmm... Dominic Cooper.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The presidential election.
37. Who did you miss?
Adrian. She was in Europe for 1/3 of the year!
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Johnny, the grad student I work for. He's great!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Struggling to figure things out alone is way more beneficial than having someone simply tell you the solution to your problem.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Baby, I'm stuck in the middle, and I don't know why." - Rachel Yamagata, "1963"